Success!

I am always trying to make more from scratch.  It is an attempt to save money as well as cut out preservatives and additives.  Mostly, though, it is a challenge.  And I love a good challenge.

As I mentioned Friday, we are re-doing our daughter’s room this weekend.  So far it’s been long hours of sanding and painting.  Today the painting should wrap up and flooring can commence.  (this post was started Memorial Day weekend)

And while all this work is going on I don’t want to think too hard about meals.  I also don’t want to eat every meal out for 3 days.

Yesterday morning I got up at 6:00 (not sure why) and was quietly hopping around different blogs reading a little of this & a little of that.  I happened on this recipe for beans.   I’ve made dried beans before, but they’ve only been okay.  I’m looking for a GOOD recipe to get me going again.  This one looked good and intrigued me because there was no soaking of the beans first.

I was worried because it didn’t say how much water to add…and I was sure there should be more liquid than 1/3 cup olive oil.  Otherwise I had enough of the ingredients to give this a try.  And it would be great to make right away and have for supper.

So I decided I didn’t have much to lose.  I had 2.25 cups pinto beans so I added enough black beans to make 3 cups.  I rinsed them and added the spices and olive oil.  I didn’t have any onion but a large quarter so I threw that in the pot in one large chunk.  I was also out of garlic.  I did have a little bit of minced jarred garlic, so I dumped that in – liquid and all.

Then I was back to the water…I added enough to cover the beans and checked it a couple of hours later, adding more when it looked dry.

This was delicious!!!  My kids even cleaned their plates!  There was probably a little more liquid than needed so next time I might not add quite as much, but after 9 hours on high and 1 on warm the beans were cooked just right.  We are eating the rest today and I foresee this on menus to come…it really is that good.

A small bowl of the first batch of beans paired with my CSA greens and homemade poppy seed dressing, made for a great supper!

*** I made these again.  This time I kept track of the water I added.  I started with 2 cups and then added another 1.5 cups about two hours later.  Several hours later I added another quarter cup… it had a little liquid in it but wasn’t soupy.  Next time I’ll just start with a tad more than 3.5 cups of water and see how that goes.

YUM!

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under In the Kitchen, Making Do, Using It Up

One response to “Success!

  1. I’m so glad you all enjoyed them! Sorry I forgot to mention water to cover.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s